Press Conference, 17 Mai 2016, 10:45-11:30
The Africa-EU Energy Partnership (AEEP), the Italian Government, the African Union Commission (AUC), and the European Union Commission (EC) were jointly organising an international forum for the advancement of renewable energy innovation, investment and Africa-EU energy cooperation from 16th to 17th of May 2016 in Milan (Italy).
The Second Stakeholder Forum was attended by African and European Ministers, AU and EU Commissioners, and more than 300 other high-level participants representing policy-makers, regional institutions, international organisations, the banking and finance industry, the private sector, academia, the civil society, and the media.
Coming at a time of increased international attention on energy in Africa, the main objectives of the Second Stakeholder Forum were to: sharpen the role and contributions of a wide range of stakeholders, enhance the engagement of non-state actors, and provide a framework for intercontinental dialogue. The Forum was therefore a key milestone in delivering results post COP21.
The press invited to a press conference to present the outcomes of the gathering, including:
- An Africa-EU Energy Stakeholder Forum Communiqué
- The Mapping of Initiatives and Programmes in Africa Report
- The Intermediate AEEP Status Report
- The launch of the RES4Africa Initiative
- Progress towards the AEEP 2020 Targets through a Call-for-Action from stakeholders
- H.E. Dr. Elham Ibrahim, Commissioner at Department of Infrastructure & Energy, African Union Commission
- H.E. Thomas Silberhorn, Parliamentary State Secretary, Germany
- H.E. Dr. Kipyego Cheluget, Deputy Secretary General, Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
- Ambassador Sergio Mercuri, Minister Plenipotentiary, Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
- Mr. Felice Zaccheo, Deputy Head of Unit, Water, Energy and Infrastructure – DG DEVCO, European Commission
- Mr. Ishmael Edjekumhene, Executive Director, Kumasi Institute of Technology and Environment (KITE), Ghana
- Ms. Lerato Mbele, Anchor and Presenter, Africa Business Report, BBC World News
prepared by the Young Journalists